The Hart County Historical Society Museum is located in the 1893 historic Chapline Building which was built as a general mercantile by Joseph B. Chapline. The structure was built of bricks from the first Hart County court house which was torn down and replaced with a more modern structure. (click on photos to enlarge)
The bricks are believed to have been made of native clay and fired nearby in 1819. They were recycled by Mr. Chapline and still cover the building today.
Its Mesker Front always attracts attention. The Chapline Building
has had many, varied uses including a barber shop, bakery, telephone exchange, doctor's office, congressional office, dry goods store, Hart County News printing office and more.
From pre-history to mid 20th century, the Museum has displays